The last thing any driver needs is to break down in cold, harsh winter weather. A vehicle check now before the winter weather arrives is a sensible way to avoid the inconvenience of being stranded out in the cold and with the unexpected expense of emergency repairs.
Winterizing your vehicle before the temperatures drop is a good idea. It's a very cost-effective way to avoid unexpected repairs and it only takes a few hours. You can make an appointment today at 60 Minute Tune. Feel free to leave us with your vehicle for the day and we will have it ready at the end of the day.
- If you’re due for a tune-up, have it done before winter sets in. Winter magnifies existing problems such as pings, hard starts, sluggish performance or rough idling.
- Have the battery and charging system checked for optimum performance. Cold weather is hard on batteries.
- Clean, flush and put new antifreeze in the cooling system. As a general rule of thumb, this should be done every two years.
- Make sure heaters, defrosters and wipers work properly. Consider winter wiper blades and use cold weather washer fluid. As a general rule, wiper blades should be replaced every six months.
- Check the tire tread depth and tire pressure. If snow and ice are a problem in your area, consider special tires designed to grip slick roads. During winter, tire pressure should be checked weekly.
- Have the brakes checked. The braking system is the vehicle’s most important safety item.
- Have the exhaust system checked for carbon monoxide leaks, which can be especially dangerous during cold weather driving when windows are closed.
- Check to see that exterior and interior lights work and headlights are properly aimed.
- Be diligent about changing the oil and filter at recommended intervals. Dirty oil can spell trouble in winter. Consider changing to “winter weight” oil if you live in a cold climate. Have your technician check the fuel, air and transmission filters at the same time.
Check it out on Facebook at www.facebook.com/60MinuteTune to learn more about our winterization specials. We look forward to helping you soon.